Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Walker's Getting Comfortable

Walker has been with us for about a week and a half.  This photo was taken last Saturday, about a week after he arrived.  He got here at about the same time as the new shipment of bully sticks!

Maggie and Truly are in the foreground.  Walker is at the top, right corner
 of the photo.  He chose that dog bed, I think, because he could keep an eye on the
humans and hounds coming and going from any direction.  It should be stated that
while he was enjoying that bully stick, he really wasn't paying attention to anybody or anything else.  :)

By Sunday, Walker chose to move to a bed further into the room and closer to us.

His last foster Mom sent this toy with him.  When he first arrived, he wasn't too concerned with it. 
By Sunday, he started carrying it around with him.

By last night, Walker had chosen to move even further into the room. 
Here he is on the bed that sits right in front of my recliner.

He's asking, "Why were you resting your feet on me?"

Walker eagerly eats his breakfast and dinner as soon as it is served to him - right along with the other dogs.  He loves going outside!  I'm thrilled to report that he comes back in by himself about half of the time.  If he doesn't come in when I call him, I go stand near the bottom of the deck stairs.  That seems to be his signal that it really is time for him to go into the house - and he does.

His disposition is such that both of my hounds seem to like and accept Walker.  Neither seems to mind the game of musical dog beds, maybe because Walker freely shares his toys!  He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.  When he first arrived, I was surprised to see Maggie make a couple of corrections (some growls and one nip at him).  He didn't run or cower away from her.  He didn't growl or nip back at her.  He stood there and learned to stop doing whatever he was doing to offend her.  If Walker was a child, his report card would indicate that he "plays nicely with others."

Every night, I sit on the floor and pet Truly and Maggie.  It's never more than a few minutes before Walker approaches me for his share of love.  He likes to have his ears scratched and his legs rubbed.  I like to think he's allowing me to build a relationship of trust with him.

0 comments: