Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Good Boy!

Every day Walker is with us, we see some improvement in his anxiety issues.  These little victories make our hearts sing!

When I let the dogs out the back door, Walker is always the last to go out.  When he first arrived at our house, I would open the door, move around the corner where he couldn't see me, and he would go out.  Then, to push the envelope, I began slowly closing the distance between me and the door.  

This weekend I decided to challenge him even more by opening the door, stepping back from it a couple of feet, but putting my hand on the door so that Walker had to pass under my raised arm to get out the door.  He was cautious the first time I did that, but he loves going outside, so he decided to risk it.  Since then there's been no problem at all.  Yay, Walker!

Another sign of progress is Walker's willingness to let me take photos of him at close range.  He'll also look at me while I'm doing it.

No close up lense!

Hey, there, Walker!

Look at those sweet eyes.

The bowing boy!
With Walker, the little things mean so much.  Every time he puts trust in you, you know you've accomplished something.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

We would love to meet Walker. His youth and demeanor might be the right fit for our household. PS-beautiful garden

SegaBlogger2012 said...

Brenda--if you are interested in meeting Walker, the first step is completing an adoption application which can be found at our website: www.greyhoundadoption.org under the adoption tab.

GreytGold said...

Stress Bow! Our shy boy did that, and I clicker trained him to do that when I leaned over toward him. Now he greats all of his guests that way when they lean over to pet him. It's his, "Nice To Meet You" move and it helps him relax.
Lisa Poole

Brenda said...

I've submitted application and have heard from Patty. Very excited to meet Walker and the other adoptables. Enjoying your blog, what a great way to get a little insite while learning more about the greyhounds.