Friday, September 14, 2012

Visitors for Walker

Walker had visitors this week. A very nice couple, Angela & Bill came by to meet Walker earlier this week. They had read his blog and seen his photo on the SEGA website and wanted to meet him.

Walker can be anxious when he meets new people, but he actually was not overly anxious to meet Angela & Bill. Strangely enough, he actually did some things while they were visiting that he does not normally do. He walked (calmly) around my kitchen (usually he won't set foot in there). He drank out of a water fountain I have for my dogs. In the 3 months I have had him, he has never done that before. I was blown away.

Walker used to come into my living room, but apparently one time he felt trapped in it so he has pretty much stayed out of the living room for about the last 6 weeks. While Bill and Angela were visiting, he came sauntering into the living room like it was something he always did.

Maybe he was showing off for Bill and Angela. I don't know but it was refreshing to see this side of Walker. I got to see more glimpses of the dog inside.

We went outside for a nice little visit with Walker on a leash so he could meet their houndie boy, Bucky (whom he liked--I have yet to find a dog that Walker didn't like). Walker LOVES to go outside in my fenced yard. It's probably his favorite thing to do.

Bill and Angela sat on the ground and Walker let them pet him. He even went up to Angela initially and then Bill to solicit pets. That is HUGE for Walker. Before they left, he was letting Bill rub all over his face and ears. He seemed to enjoy it.

Bill even commented that he thinks Walker is a very smart dog. I have to agree with Bill. Even though Walker has a lot of anxiety, I actually think he's a pretty curious, confident dog. He just likes to know exactly what to expect. He likes his routines.

I am kicking myself for not taking pictures, but I was so in awe of how Walker was acting with Bill and Angela, it just didn't even cross my mind.

I'm so glad Bill and Angela got to see the glimpses I see sometimes of this awesome dog trying to come out. In the right home, with patience, love AND the right amount of pushing his boundaries, he will end up being a great companion dog.

0 comments: